Now that the summer is in full swing, it may be a bit more difficult to stay as involved with Sigma Delta Tau. Here are five ways to stay active and make the most of your #SigDeltSummer!
1. Reach out to PCAA, JWI, or your local philanthropy. Many people join a sorority to get more involved with philanthropy work. This is something we shouldn’t forget over the summer! Get in contact with a representative from PCAA or JWI and ask what you and your chapter can do this summer to be as proactive and helpful as possible, even if it’s something as simple as spreading awareness on what issues these organizations strive to overcome.
2. Plan a sisterhood event. If you live by a beach, amusement park, historical landmark, hiking trail or any other awesome location, why not make a summer sisterhood event out of it? Taking a poll with your sisters on Facebook is always a good, fair way to see what days would work the best and what event everyone would like to do. A day that’s spent with sisters is guaranteed to be a great time!
3. Prepare for the upcoming semester. It’s never too early to start brainstorming ideas for recruitment, sisterhood events, alumnae events and everything else your chapter does during the semester! Whether you hold a leadership position within your chapter or not, there is always room for a helping hand when it comes to suggesting ideas. You can even try to arrange for a representative from PCAA or JWI to speak on campus during the Fall and inform students about the important work that these organizations do.
4. Begin networking for the future. One great thing about being in a national sorority is the fact that there is bound to be alumnae who are in the field of work you are interested in. Whether you just finished your Freshman year or are heading into your last, networking is always a good idea. Find alumnae through SDT’s LinkedIn group. SDT’s Empowering Alumnae Speaker Series is also a good place to start for inspiration!
5. Start celebrating Centennial! SDT is quickly approaching a huge milestone that sisters nationwide of all chapters and ages can celebrate: 100 years of sisterhood! Start celebrating by doing things like sharing a photo of your Bid Day picture with the hashtag #SDT100 or pledging to do 100 random acts of kindness before Founders Day 2017. Find a list of 100 ways to celebrate Centennial here.